To this question I give my standard response: "We don't know. We decided not to find out."
You should see the looks I get.
Shock. Horror. Disbelief.
No one waits to find out anymore. We asked the ultra sound technician how many people didn't find out. He said 1 in 50. In our Lamaze class we are the only couple (of 15 couples) who doesn't know pink or blue. At my work there are 4 pregnant ladies. I'm the only one with a question mark hanging over her uterus.
How can you dooooo that? Don't you want to know so you can plan? What about a nursery?
I can see wanting to find out if you are planning on buying lots of stuff while you are pregnant but I"m planning on buying NOTHING. Baby is due in 20+ days and so far the baby has the following items most of which are borrowed from my little sister the birthing machine:
- bassinet - I'll get a crib later
- car seat -borrowed
- bike seat - obviously a necessity in this biking family
- breast pump - technically this belongs to me, but as we will be sharing my boobs I'll let baby share claim
- dresser - the old dresser I used as a baby
- 2 blankets - one is yellow (unisex) one is rainbow (also unisex) also belonged to me as a baby
- 1 pair of newborn jeans
- 1 bronco jersey - a gift from my sister back when we were bronco fans
- 1 adorable on the go changing kit - a present from a students mom.
- yellow booties - also gift from students mom
- the outfit that I came home from the hospital wearing - I can't believe my mom saved it
Realistically before Baby is born I'll have to busy some things, but really I can count those on one hand.
- newborn diapers,
- pacifier (I'm not a fan of the word binky)
- package of onesies,
Baby will come in the summer so I don't need to worry about warm clothing right away.
As for a nursery.....That is a future post.
As much as we want to make everything perfect for our coming babies - let's face it - a baby will sleep in a box. It doesn't care what color the nursery is. It doesn't care if it is wearing designer outfits.
It does care that you hold it, and rock it and love it. For the first few weeks Baby and I are going to play recluse and get to know one another. By that point I'll know whether or not to get pink or blue. Also, although I realize I am being exceptionally pragmatic in this post I do hope by that point our "nursery" will look a little less like a bike garage. (future post.)
For us the excitement of being surprised at the birth far outweighed the advantages of finding out before so one can plan.
But the bottom line is....when it is YOUR baby....you can do whatever you want!
So what do you think? Did all of you find out? or will you find out? Did anyone else wait to be surprised?