THE LIFE OF THE RIDDLE

THE LIFE OF THE RIDDLE

Friday, April 22, 2011

Our Last stop in Europe: Switzerland

From Lake Como we drove up to Interlaken Switzerland and then into the Laterbrunnen valley.  We lucked out with another great hostel (unfortunately the bathroom was down the hall and I had to go TWICE in the night.) Traveling cheaply has its ups and downs especially when you are 7 1/2 months pregnant.

The next day we took the gondola up to the top of the world.  



Once we got to the top, we realized that the view was mostly covered by clouds.  sob. 

We were almost the only non-skiers on the gondola.  


I threw on my ski hat to try to blend in with the super cool skiers,
but my wool coat and jeans gave me away, not to mention my protruding belly.  
This is what we would have seen if we'd gone on one of the 3 days per year with no cloud cover.  
The Schlithorn is where they filmed the 1969 Bond movie On Her Majesties Secret Service.  You can watch a few clips of the film at the top.   They have a great scene where Bond and the villain fight in a barn perilously filled with large Swiss cow bells. Terrifying.

I wish they had had a life size photo booth of this film promo poster where tourists could stick their heads through.  Spencer could have pretended to be James and I could have been Ms. Cleavage.  (Hilarious that she has so much exposed considering she is in skis.)

I wasn't about to show any cleavage (although with this pregnancy I have plenty to show!)
Instead I cast fashion aside and sported my awesome Sherpa hat most of the day.  It was COLD!


Every where we looked were beautiful views.  


I was pretty happy to be in the small village of Gimmelwald again.
It hadn't changed much since I back packed through here in 2004.
 

One of us is very happy to be in Switzerland.
The other one of us hates posing for pictures.
Can you tell which is which?

My Geology training in college lets me know that this is a U shaped valley carved by glaciers.  
I sure do love what glaciers do to mountains.  
Can I please have MORE COW BELL?
Okay I know it isn't an original comment but YOU come up with a better caption.  Seriously.  Send me your ideas.  

From Switzerland we headed to Frankfort where we flew home.  It is always great to visit Europe, but with the little one on the way I have a feeling it is going to be a long while before we make it back.  So long Europe.  You are beautiful and as enchanting as always.  I"m very lucky to have seen you so many times.  I'll miss you.  xoxo.  -Joanie

1 comment:

Evenstar said...

I have all the cowbell I need! I'm so jealous.