THE LIFE OF THE RIDDLE

THE LIFE OF THE RIDDLE

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Berlin

Okay I'll finally give more report on my summer travels. As most of my readers know I spent the summer in Germany doing an intense German teacher program. I convinced my friend Megan to do it with me. I just got back last weekend so I'll attempt to give an update of my trip on this blog.

First 3 days: Berlin.
I was anticipating the first days to be a little lonely as I flew in to Berlin on Thursday and wasn't planning on meeting up with Megan in Leipzig on Saturday. Here is what I saw:

Eventually I wandered down to the Brandenburg Gate, Berlin's most famous land mark with hundreds of years of history. But the Berliners weren't into remembering that kind of history that night. They were into more modern history aka soccer. The European cup tournament was happening and the game was between Spain and Russia. The city had erected an enormous screen on the west side of the Brandenburg gate and all the locals were gathered to watch. Lots of Russians live in Germany so the crowd was all decked out in flags and other Russian garb. Germans were also excited as the winner of the Russian/Spain game would play Germany the next Sunday.

It was a very fun atmosphere. I watched for about an hour and then when i started to fall asleep standing up (around 9:30) I headed back to my hostel. Unfortunately for Germany Spain won and then won again on Sunday against Germany.

5 comments:

Evenstar said...

Sounds like you had fun. I look forward to hearing more about your trip.

Seventh Child said...

We're glad to have you back Joanie!

footballcrucible said...

I need to see more pictures!

Rachel said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I've been wanting to have your blog address and keep in touch with my dear cousin. Grandma told me of your big adventure to study German. How did you do it, love? Six weeks is a long time. Wow. Glad your back to your husband and home.

Angela said...

oh my it looks amazing!